1. Oh I wish I could figure out which blog I read that referred to February as extra January, but am adopting is as it suits this little month so perfectly. Anyone have any big plans for leap day? Do tell.
2. Every Friday this month, Evie and I have visited our new library (not the closest, but worth the extra gas). It is stunning - practically a resort (for book nerds, anyway) - with a mosaic tiled waterfall in the lobby, beautiful stone & glass architecture (I had a great picture, but see no. 3), a garden, and a lot of shiny new books. Observe - the return area where your books are fed into the wall via conveyor, barcodes read, and receipt printed (or not). It is the perfect rainy day outing.
3. My phone wiped itself clean and upon rebooting, all contacts & photos are lost. Apparently the lesson is to backup and it can only be learned after all is lost. The upside? It coincides with my contract renewal which might mean an iPhone. Hello instagram. Goodbye retro camera. I think we can all agree that an iPhone is way to much phone for me, c'est la vie.
4. One day a week, Evie decides she would like to use the potty. Only one though. She is not an overachiever, clearly. Unless she's just worried the tutu will get in the way. And I am not pushing it because it was not on my spring to-do list. But it is on Grammy's.
5. I made soup (three actually, over the course of three days) for 60 people to be served at our monthly church supper. And I had a lovely team of helpers to handle all the rest of the food, the service and the clean up. There are few things more humbling than to watch a great grandfather up to his elbows in dirty pots & pans.
6. Wouldn't it have been nice if I had taken pictures of this month? Yeah, I thought so too. It is hard to break from the doing, I find. Baby steps. (It also helps to backup your camera, ahem.)
7. The shop had a request for notecards and I am happy to say they are on the way. Meaning I have them but need to upload pictures. It was on my 2012 list and now I can cross that one off (and add ordering card boxes). For now, they will be wrapped with ribbon from the dollar bin. Not sure yet they can be priced for wholesale but at this point I'd be thrilled to license them and leave production to someone else. Perhaps that is a 2013 list item?
8. We are apparently not going to have a proper winter, I thought one uber cold week was the start, but it is in the high 50s lately with nary a flake in sight. I wouldn't mind one snow day with a quick resolution and no power outages. But I cannot complain that the boys can go outside afterschool - having them cooped up doesn't do anyone (especially me) any favors.
9. Lately I find I am less concerned with homework and content to let them play until dark. As daylight minutes extend, this practice may not hold much longer, but I am so glad they still love to play outside instead of nagging me about video games. (The only reason they don't ask is because we have a no game policy on school nights. Plus we only have a Wii - an item where the true value comes in the threat of removal). But it is nice to have them come to dinner hungry and close to worn out. Because I am pretty worn out by 6:30 too.
10. I'm not proud to say it only took me 5 days to watch all of Downton Abbey Season 1 & 2 & Christmas. And I'm totally hooked - big surprise. I apologize to the fam for all those dirty dishes in the sink...our dishwasher has been running non stop. (Soooo worth it.)
10b. Come back around tomorrow for the review & giveaway of Julia's Child by Sarah Pinneo.