If I wait to have any cohesive thoughts about this, I'll never begin. So if you are willing to step into the great unknown, let me outline what I think will be the plan. Subject, of course, to tweaking based on your questions/suggestions.
1. Choose two books that you'd like to pass along. (You'll only be sending one, but I'm trying to avoid repeats. And you'll get it back.)
2. Sign up - in the comments. I'll contact you for your personal info & book choices. A simple, "I'm in" will do.
3. You will be assigned to a group of 6 chicks.With a good balance of books/locations. All in the US - although if there is int'l interest, you can be your own group of 6 or 3.
4. I will email you your group info - addresses and email addys so you can communicate amongst yourselves if you run into a glitch. Also, I may be asking one member of each group to act as the mama bird - checking in with the group, being a contact person, ironing out any wrinkles.
5. The schedule will look something like this:
Example group of 3: Me, J, L
On March 1st, I'll mail my choice to J, she will mail her choice to L. L will mail to me.
(You will have one week to mail your books - obviously it is cheaper to do it sooner - bookrate. But the idea is to get it to the next person giving them ample time to finish)
6.Inside each book will be a traveling bookmark (which I will mail to each particpant) - and will be a travel log of sorts, tracing your book's journey. I will also send some library cards to include for additional comments. Finish up the book, sign the bookmark, and send to the next person on your list the week of April 1 ( or sooner, if you are a rockstar)
7. You will be allowed one pass....but without messing up the schedule. Life is full of curve balls, if you just can't finish (or even start) a book, take your pass. This only lasts 6 months so you'll either read 5 or 6 books. Obviously, you may get a book you've already read. Just consider that a BONUS, but please sign & make your comments afresh. :)
8. I will open up comments either in a separate forum, or just in a regular post at the end of the month. I haven't quite worked that all out yet.....how much I'll be involved past the administration end. Bear with me.
9. In summary - magically books will appear monthly at your door. You will be responsible for mailing books in a timely fashion to the next member of your group. And at the end, you'll get your book back with comments and some mileage.
Right now, my only requirement (besides willingness), is no chunksters (books over 400/450 pages) - with a few exceptions. If a book is 420 pages but moves quickly, that's fine. If it's Pillars of the Earth - not happenin'. You are free to choose any genre - I'll try to get a good mix in each group.
If you know anyone you'd think would be interested in giving this a whirl - please direct them here - we don't bite. I'd love to involve more friends in reading this year.
Questions, comments, suggestions?
SIGNUP in this post. I'll be in touch.
SIGNUPS will shut down February 13th. This is a firm deadline since I'll need to do some mailing & organizing of groups. Let's plan to begin March 1st.