- The dudes were home from school 3 straight days, thanks to a freak snowstorm. Our school is in an area that regularly loses power, last year we thought we would be moving closer, but this fragile mama cannot bear to lose power that often. The hubs was caught in what is now being referred to as "the worst rush hour in history" around these parts - which if you are familiar with our traffic issues is a quite a feat. It took him 6 hours and 10 minutes to get home on Wednesday night, normally a 45 minute drive. We are thankful he chose to drive the mama truck and that he arrived home safe, tired but safe. Did I mention the kids were home for 5 straight days (including the weekend)?
- Being homebound means drinking a lot of coffee, reading a lot of books (mostly to Evie who has an obsession with A Very Hungry Caterpillar) and catching up on lotsa blogs. Here are a couple I am currently getting lost in : Baked Bree and A Holy Experience . Real food and spiritual food.
- In what may be considered wishful thinking since we are entering February, I ordered some spring clothing. I've settled on a uniform of sorts...t shirts, bermuda shorts & capris, mixed with colorful cardigans, shoes & jewelry. I am attempting to take Jamie Lee Curtis' closet cleaning advice...pretend you are packing for a 2 week trip, then get rid of the rest. And I'm already making excuses like, should I pack for 4 different trips since we have all the seasons? I can rationalize just about anything.
- To add one more project to the mix, I'm going to attempt to make bread, specifically using the method in Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day. This is a holdover from a 2010 goal that never took flight, due to lack of skills with dough, killing of yeast, and lack of equipment. I think I'm ready now, mostly because our weekly bread intake is getting pricey. And I'd like to master something useful. I promise to take pictures.
- I received an Amazon gift card and with it, heaps of indecision. Isn't it funny how I'll say to myself "I'll get that with a gift card or If only I had money for books..." and now that I do I'm crippled by choice. My cart is looking much different than I anticipated. But I'm on hold for now while I sort it out...does anyone else experience gift card freeze?
- If you are reading along with the classics, how is it going? Have you started/finished either My Antonia or Madame Bovary? Are you waiting for February? I'm really anxious to talk about Madame B. - she's a saucy one. And it's interesting to think about how scandalous this book was when it was originally published (1856).
- In an effort to be a small step ahead, I have begun Steinbeck's The Winter of our Discontent...the 2nd February pick is will probably be Doroty Sayers' mystery The Nine Tailors. If you have strong feelings about it, or any feeling at all, or are waiting to jump in for a specific title, just say so.